Zoom has very quickly become the go-to app for the new virtual world. In this digital day and age, it is quite fun and useful to know how to customize your Zoom background. In this article, we will tell you all about ‘How to change the background on Zoom’. Let’s dive right in!
How to Change the Background on Zoom?
The Zoom app is used by almost every other person nowadays. Be it an important business meeting or a virtual birthday party, it’s mostly a Zoom invite that you’re going to receive. Having proper knowledge of all the amazing features Zoom has to offer is integral in making the experience on the platform more fruitful.
One of the great features of Zoom is to be able to change the background in your video. Depending on the type of the occasion, you could either have a very subtle and minimalist-looking background consisting of sleek white and black furniture in a quiet living room or a study.
On the other hand, you could also have disco lights in the background, for encapsulating the party vibe from the pre-Covid-19 times. Let’s check out how to do exactly that.
1. Default Zoom Backgrounds
If you just want to cover the fact that your room is a giant mess, then you could simply go for the default backgrounds that Zoom provides. They have a decent picture library, which gives you quite a few options to choose from.
You could be sitting on the beach or you could also be giving your presentation from the space with actual stars giving you company. The choice is up to you. Follow the guidelines to change the background on Zoom.
- The first step is to download the Zoom app onto your phone or PC.
- Once you finish installing the app onto your device, open your account on the app.
- If you are new to this, you need to make an account with your email ID.
- After logging in, click on the profile picture icon on the right side of the screen.
- You will find the ‘Settings’ option in the drop-down box.
- On the left side of the screen, you will find a ‘Backgrounds and Filters’ option. Select that.
- You will now be able to see the options you can choose from for your new Zoom background.
These steps are viable when you haven’t joined a meeting. In some cases, if you want to change your background in the middle of an on-going meeting, you can still do it. Just follow the guidelines below.
- Move your cursor on your laptop/PC. If you’re on your phone then just lightly tap on your screen.
- You will find the ‘Stop Video’ option at the bottom of the screen.
- There will be a tiny little arrow on that option (something like this- ^).
- Press on it. Now click on ‘Change Virtual Background’.
- You can now change your background by choosing from the default options.
2. Customized Zoom Backgrounds
If you want to use this change of Zoom background for more than hiding your real surroundings, the customized background is a great option for you. You can upload any picture that you like and be ready for your big Zoom meeting. To make it happen, follow the steps given below.
- The first few steps are the same as before.
- Make sure you have the Zoom app on your device.
- Log in with your account. If you don’t have one, then you need to make one.
- Open the ‘Settings’ and select the ‘Background and Filters’ option.
- Here the tricky part starts. On the side of the default section, there will be a tiny ‘+’ sign.
- Click on the ‘+’ sign. You will now be able to add an image or video from your device.
- There is even a green-screen option, so if you want to go the extra mile and set it up, feel free.
- The only thing to keep in mind is that the picture should fit the proper format and size supported by Zoom.
Details to Keep in Mind for the Background Picture
If you want a super personalized look for your Zoom background, then you can do so by adding one of your own pictures for the background. The main question that arises here is ‘what types of pictures can be uploaded?’ or ‘what should be the size of the picture so that it is visible clearly?’. In this section, we’ll address all these queries for you.
- The picture type or format should be one of these- JPG/JPEG, GIF, or 24-bit PNG (no alpha). White will be the default color to fill any transparent areas in the picture.
- The picture should be a minimum of 960 pixels and a maximum of 1920 pixels. Anything less or more will not be able to upload into the background.
- The perfect aspect ratio of the picture is 16:9. These types of pictures will be clearly visible without any areas too much/ too less pixelated.
- The maximum size of the picture file should not be more than 5 MB.
You’ve reached the end of this article on how to change the background on Zoom. If you’ve come so far, then we’re sure you are now perfect with the process of changing Zoom backgrounds. Having a funky or formal background will be a piece of cake for you. Have fun with your background in your next Zoom meeting!