Learn How to Use Odin to root your Samsung smartphones. This guide contains all steps with images to help you flash roms using Odin Software.
If you have a Samsung phone and are facing difficulties installing the official Samsung updates then you must read this article till end. Samsung releases official updates for their smartphones over the air or OTA and installing them is a very straightforward and simple process.
But still a lot of people face the boot loop issue, or are met with the ‘firmware update encountered an issue’ problem. While some might simply want to downgrade the firmware. If you too are facing similar problems or want to downgrade then you will have to manually flash the stock firmware update. Odin is a firmware flashing tool which you can use for all Samsung Galaxy devices. In this article we are going to learn how to use Odin. Read along to find out!
Before we move forward with the guide to use Odin, let us first learn about its requirements.
- A Samsung Galaxy device.
- Respective Samsung stock firmware. (You download it from Sammobile firmware directory.)
- Download Odin
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers.
- Go to Settings and Navigate to Developer options and enable USB Debugging.
- Backup your existing data stored on the device.
Guide on How to use Odin
Follow the step-by-step guide below and you should be good to go.
Download device drivers
- Visit Samsung official website .
- Look for driver software corresponding to your device.
- Google the driver software of your device.
- Download and install it.
- Restart the computer.
Download and extract stock ROM
- Download respective Samsung stock firmware. You download it from Sammobile firmware directory.
- Click on Firmware.
- Enter your device model.
- Select your country.
- Unzip the downloaded file on your PC.
- You will see a *.md5 file
Download and extract Odin
Download Odin from here: https://odindownload.com/download/Odin3_v3.13.1.zip
- After downloading it on your PC, extract it.
- Right click and select Run as Administrator
Boot the Samsung device into Download Mode
- Power off your device
- Press and hold Volume Down key, Home Key and Power Key simultaneously.
- When your device vibrates, release Power key but keep holding the Volume Down key and Home key
- Press Volume Up key to enter Download mode.
Connect your device to PC
As soon as you plug your device to your computer, the device should be automatically recognized by Odin.
At the lower-left of Odin interface, it will show a message saying “Added!” . Look for a light-blue box at the ID:COM section stating “COM:3”. This number is going to depend on which USB port you have plugged the device cable and is irrelevant.
Start flashing the firmware
- Click “PDA” or “AP” to add tar.md5 file which you have extracted.
- Click on “Start”.
DO NOT REMOVE OR OPERATE ON YOUR DEVICE UNTIL FINISHED OR FAILED IS SHOWED ON ODIN.
When the flashing process is completed and if it is successful, you will see a big green box saying “RESET” or “PASSED”
What to do if you fail?
Although this step-by-step guide is guaranteed to work, but in case, due to some reason it fails, perform the following steps before you try again:
- Update your device driver software to the latest.
This guide won’t work till you have an up to date driver software.
- Restart your computer.
Restarting the computer may help remove temporary bugs.
- Run Odin as Administrator.
- Try different cable
Most favorably the original one or the one with better quality and the main USB port.
- Re-download the firmware
It is highly probable that the firmware you downloaded was corrupted or incompatible. Download it again and make sure itsitthe compatible one.
I hope that this article helped you get a clear idea on how to use Odin. In case if you face any difficulty, please feel free to comment and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
I hope you found the article informative and enjoyed reading it. This is all for the day. Thanks for reading!